The University was founded in 1635.
2018 is the 249th academic year at the Faculty of Medicine. In 1955, Faculties of Dentistry and Pharmacy were incorporated into the University.
In 1969, the name of the University was changed to Semmelweis University of Medicine. The new name honors Ignác Semmelweis who discovered the cause of puerperal fever and was a professor and a chairman on the Faculty of Medicine.
Today, Semmelweis University incorporates the Faculties of Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Physical Education and Sport Sciences, and the Faculty of Health Sciences.
Semmelweis University was the first Hungarian higher educational institution that started to offer an international program.
Current enrollment at the Faculty of Medicine is 3200 students, at the Faculty of Dentistry 630, and at the Faculty of Pharmacy 649.